Thursday, 13 January 2011

Fabric Manipulation & Silks

To start this off I blocked the little button block with a grey/black silk. To do this I blocked some buckram over the button block, once dry I spray mounted they silk onto the buckram easing the silk underneath. So it was very similar to the leather blocking process. And I am sure very similar to the fur blocking process which I am going to learn next week.
So back to silk, once it was all dry and lovely I started to think about embellishment. Initially I started making small squares of folded silk with frayed edges. But I didn't like the way they looked on the hat. It was decided that it needed a different fabric/texture. Sharon found some grey and black wool tweed fabric. From some of the techniques we were show I made some ruffles with the wool tweed. I will post some pictures soon and its hard to describe the effect.
Blocked silk hats, especially small ones are rather beautiful. I really enjoyed learning about a whole new aspect of hats. I am yet to design any of my final collection hats but I will definitely be using this technique again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment